Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Death Book For Veterans

I, as an American and as a veteran, am sickened by a 52 page document entitled "Your Life, Your Choices" prepared for our veterans. It was first published in 1997 and later promoted throughout the VA's network of hospitals and nursing homes. The document was reviewed under the Bush Administration and the VA suspended its use. It has now, however, been brought back to life under the Obama Administration.

The document "Your Life, Your Choices" is a death book for our veterans, engaging in end of life counseling which the VA promoted as its preferred living will in its hospitals and nursing homes.
This document asks some appalling questions of our veterans:

"Have you ever heard anyone say 'If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug'?"

There are also what I would feel are guilt inducing statements such as:

"I can no longer contribute to my family's well being".
"I am a severe financial burden on my family".
"I am a severe emotional burden to my family".

"Your Life, Your choices" presents end-of-life choices which are directed are guiding the veterans to predetermined conclusions. There is even a worksheet included on page 21 which presents a list of various "scenarios" and then asks the veteran if his life would be worth living. Our veterans have done all our country has asked of them and more. They continue to serve, and defend our country. I have witnessed the horror of war and the scars left on our veterans. No one has the right to tell them they are a burden on society and that they should choose to just die. No one!

If our president is truly sincere in telling us that he is not trying to cut costs by pressuring the disabled to forgo needed critical care, let him step down to the VA and repel the "Your Life, Your Choices" for our true heroes. Until the next time.

Comments :

0 comments to “A Death Book For Veterans”